Here are some basic truths about getting arrested:
- The First Amendment protects your right to mouth off to the police. However, mouthing off to the police is never a good idea if they’re cuffing you.
- It is never a good idea to try to fight a police officer.
- If you are being arrested, it not a good idea to try to run from a police officer. In fact, it’s illegal.
- No one has to read you your Miranda rights unless you are going to be interrogated.
- It is *never* a good idea to talk to the police without your lawyer present.
- If you are arrested, it will probably take a while before you can get bail and are released.
Of course, all of this is assuming that you are arrested. For summary offenses, the police may issue a citation ordering you to either plead guilty and send in a fine or plead not guilty and have a summary trial.